As the temperatures drop, it is important to take steps to protect your vacant properties from cold weather ice and snow damage. DAWGS had put together a Cold Weather Vacant Property:
- Confirm with your property insurer – they may have specific cold weather requirements to ensure your building is properly covered.
- Drain down the water system to prevent pipes from bursting.
- Check gutters for blockages such as trapped water or ice if unchecked, they can cause drain pipes to shatter.
- Clear and clean the property to prevent pest infestations.
- Ensure the property is safe and secure, undertake a comprehensive risk assessment to assess potential risks and vulnerabilities.
- Inspect the premises for mold which can pose a serious health risk if left untreated.
- Check for any damage to the roof as this will help prevent associated water, ice or snow damage.
- Switch off your utilities such as gas and electrics. This will reduce the risk of gas leaks, and deter potential squatters
- Schedule property inspections and patrols will give you the peace of mind that your property is being checked up on regularly.